Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Virtual Book Tour: Day 19

For today’s stop on the tour, we’re making another visit to Brown Sugar & Spice. As you may already know, this online bookseller specializes in Black History books for children and families. To view the original post there of a video where I answer questions for students in Pomona Unified School District, click on this video:



Just for Kids!
A lot of kids from classrooms all across the country have asked me a question: “How long have you been writing?” I think that some of you want to know the answer because you already like to write, too! And yes, I started writing when I was a kid. I liked to write poetry. I never dreamed I’d grow up to be a writer, though. I didn’t start writing for a career until after I was married and had two children. That was 22 years ago. I remember how long that was because I started writing just after my youngest son was born—and now he’s 22 years old! But I didn’t get any books published until about five years after I started to write. It took me that long to learn about all the various technical things a person needs to know to type a manuscript up and send it into a publisher.

Yesterday’s Trivia Q and A:
Yesterday’s question was:
Who was a famous inventor?
a. Lewis Latimer
b. Madam C. J. Walker
c. Lonnie Johnson
d. All of the above
The answer is: d. All of the above. Lewis Latimer invented a better filament to be used in lightbulbs. Madam C. J. Walker invented hair product and beauty creams. And Lonnie Johnson designed an invention that kids love—the Super Soaker®!

Today’s Trivia Question:
What was Ida Wells Barnett known as?
a. Champion ice skater
b. Princess of the press
c. Jazz singer
Submit your answer by posting it as a comment to today’s blog. It won’t be published on the blog, but your name will be put in a hat to be drawn for 5 prizes to give away at the end of the tour. Check back in tomorrow for the answer!

Coming tomorrow:
On Day 20 of my Virtual Book Tour, I’ll be posting a video that’s dedicated to the students at Fairmont Elementary School in Yorba Linda, California where my husband teaches fourth grade. Later that day, I’ll be appearing in person at their school Book Fair for a booksigning of my newest picture book, D is for Drinking Gourd: An African American Alphabet. Mark your calendars and come join in the fun!

No comments: