Wednesday, January 2, 2008

Do You Want to be a Writer?

One of the best gifts you can give yourself if you want to be a writer is to join a critique group. A critique groups helps keep you accountable to work on a manuscript on a regular basis. Plus, it encourages your writer's soul. If you're not yet part of a critique group, make it a New Year's goal!

If you live too far away from other writers, there are several ways to start your own. When I first moved to my new home and left my critique group far behind, I put an ad in my local paper inviting anyone interested in writing to join me for a critique group at the public library. A dozen or so people from the community responded, and we had a wonderful group even though nobody was yet a published writer. You can also opt to join an online critique group. Yes, it's not as personal, but when there are no critique groups meeting in your area, you can connect to writers even if they live halfway around the world!

2 comments:

Gloria McQueen Stockstill said...

I know I'm a little behind on this post but I wanted to encourage those who are not part of a critique group to find one. I cannot tell you how much my critique groups have helped me develop as a writer. I could not do it without them!
By the way, Nancy is the leader of one of my groups!!

Nancy I. Sanders said...

And don't we have so much fun together, Gloria, in our critique group when we meet each month!!!
-Nancy